We (and by that, I mean Claudia from our Ocean Shore location) found a great recipe for homemade laundry soap.
A few reasons we like this approach: It’s non-toxic; safe for septic tanks and drain fields; it saves you money; and it’s perfect for HE washers!
1. 1 Bar (or 4.5 oz) of Fels-Naptha (fine grated) [SKU# 1253129]
2. 1 Cup of Washing Soda [SKU# 1380013]
3. 1 Cup Borax [SKU # 1253301]
4. Grater (for shaving the Fels-Naptha bar)
1. Shave 1 bar of Fels-Naptha
2. Add 1 cup of Borax
3. Add 1 cup of washing soda
4. Stir thoroughly (stirring is complete when you have a fine powder)
Use 1 Tbsp per load (2Tbsp for heavily soiled loads)
1 recipe make 16oz which is 32 loads!
This soap is a “low suds” soap, so it’s perfect for High Efficiency (HE) Washers. Ingredients are non-toxic, containing ZERO phosphates, ZERO fillers (like clay) that clog lines, or harm necessary septic tank bacteria.
DO NOT confuse Borax with Boric Acid, they are NOT the same thing! Boric Acid should NOT be used!
Original recipe from diynatural.com